Saturday, December 06, 2008

Cheap and Handmade!

I love Christmas because it always inspires my creativity!! I love making ornaments, decorating and creating all kinds of gifts for people. I have lived in San Diego for 7 years and often it is hard to get in the holiday spirit when it is sunny and 80 degrees in December!!  Both my hubby and I have always been out of town for Christmas or too busy for decorating! After purchasing our first home this spring and all the hard work on our house I decided that this year we would get a tree, decorate and not be distracted by being busy...we would decorate OUR WAY!!  Living in a beach town we decided to go for a funky beach cottage tree to match our white wood floors and cottage home!!  Instead of buying a fresh tree I opted for a $20 fake tree from Target and then I spray painted it white (can you believe that fake white trees cost $199.00?!?!?!?) I sprayed the tree with white primer and while it was drying I created all the decorations!  Like a garland made from junk mail painted pink, colorful hand painted painted glass balls, canvas flowers, ornaments that I have made through the years, a little silver tinsel and a hand sewn canvas star for the top!  All hand made and very cheap- just what I like!!!!










3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so you know that we have christmas in 80+ degree heat and sun EVERY year, right??? I cant wait til next year, we plan on spending Christmas in Canada where we will be praying for SNOW!!!!!

donna joy said...

very cool tree!-we in N TX have a hard time getting christmas-y too-
at least we have a few days of cold thrown in

lulu moonwood murakami said...

wow! very fun tree and I love your ornaments! maybe i should head out to target for the cheap tree...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails