Friday, July 01, 2011

turkey sliders and homemade chips

IMG_7752
Today is the beginning to a summer holiday weekend and what doesn't say summer like burgers and chips!? I am not a big meat eater and but when we do eat it we typically try and replace red meat with a leaner option- turkey meat. Lately we have been loving turkey sliders- the perfect little bite size burger with all kinds of simple and delicious toppings- perfect for a light dinner or even for a backyard party!


Untitled-1
I start by seasoning my ground turkey meat (this is always changing and I am always trying new things).
For this batch I used a little smoked paprika, some Italian, seasoning and a dash of tabasco, 1 egg and shedded cheese.

IMG_7747
I mixed well and then formed them into bite size patties, keeping in mind that they will shrink a little when cooking.


IMG_7748
Next I cook them up- you could also grill or for a really healthy option- bake in the oven.


IMG_7749
I also cooked up some turkey bacon- again a little healthier option than regular bacon.


IMG_7750
I think the secret to a yummy slider is a good roll- my favorite to use is a Hawaiin sweet roll.


IMG_7751
I start building my sliders with the roll and patty


IMG_7769
and then add all kinds of different toppings- you can get really creative with this or keep it simple.


IMG_7757
grilled mushrooms, spinach, dijon mustard and sharp cheddar cheese


IMG_7758
pickle, turkey bacon, cheese and a dollop of blue cheese

IMG_7756
grilled onions, cheddar cheese and spiced mayo

IMG_7755
dijon mustard and shredded parmesan cheese

IMG_7754


IMG_7760
All of the sliders get the top bun and a little toothpick to hod them together.


IMG_7761
mmmm...so yummy!


IMG_7767

chips
You can't have a burger without something to go with it! I LOVE homemade potato chips- not the healthiest but once in a while you gotta do it! Using a mandolin slicer, I start by slicing up a potato into paper thin slices.

Next, I heated up vegetable oil in a sauce pan (filled about half way)
I dropped the potatoes in and fried until they were golden brown.

IMG_7927
I soaked up the excess oil by placing chips on a paper towel


IMG_7932
and then seasoned with salt, pepper and fresh herbs.


IMG_7936
what better way to enjoy a slider than with a handful of fresh, homemade potato chips!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, my mouth is watering! Those look delicious!!

Katie said...

Yum! And all the great combinations! I can't wait to make some of my own!

suzieQ said...

You know what is not smart? Reading and viewing your pics as I was just thinking about my lunch. I want those sliders but I don't have the fixings nor the time to go and shop since my belly wants lunch right now. Perhaps I will make these later in the day, when I can safely go to the grocery store when I am not starving!

Unknown said...

Wow, these look soooooo good! Okay, here's the deal...can't you, won't you, why don't you...slide the bacon one, right here in this plate I've put on my desk! OH gosh, think about it...sliding sliders from your blog!!LOL. I love seeing your food and lusting! Hugs!

Aurora said...

Yum yum YUM! We go with turkey instead of beef, too. I hate the taste of beef and my husband hates the fat, so it works out perfectly. Eventhough a lot of people think we're nuts :) That turkey bacon you used looked like the real thing-what brand was it? Everytime I've tried turley bacon it's been ridiculous-it's pale pink and purpley and really strange...I'd love to know of a better one to try!

bilant said...

Those turkey sliders are great. I think that is not a very easy recipe but it looks so delicious, that`s why i will give it a try. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Allison said...

You just gave me the best ideas for a summer dinner party. Everything looks delicious!

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor said...

Mmmmmm Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum! I just made some slider's for a Father's Day BBQ with beef but these Turkey ones look great. Not to mention, healthier. Will have to whip up a batch. They look delicious!

Unknown said...

OMG...the pictures are amazing! What camera do you use?

Anonymous said...

these looked so good - we had to try. we did a ground pork and tofu crumbles combo. delicious. thx for sharing. so love your blog! warmly,s

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails