Wednesday, June 12, 2013

washi tape pencil pouch

I love washi tape (just like everyone else) and I am always looking for new ways to use it!  Since I've been known to sew with just about anything (I wrote a book on it!) I decided to try a sewing project with washi tape!

I treated this just like any of my sewing projects that involve sewing with bits and pieces of fabric or paper- lots of layers of color and shapes with messy stitching over the top.

1. I started by cutting a piece of quilt batting to my desired size (I made a pencil pouch but you could make just about anything).

2. Next, using washi tape, I covered my batting with the tape. There are all kinds of ways to do this- create a pattern, make stripes, go wild with pieces of tape, etc.

The best part is that the washi tape sticks to the surface of the batting (obviously) so there is no pinning things into place!

3. Next, I stitched all over the surface of the tape. There are a couple of ways that you could tackle this step- clean straight lines or messy free motion stitching (my preference).

I went WILD with stitching all over the tape and even added more layers of tape!

4. Last, I sewed my quilted "washi tape" surface into a pencil pouch.


20 comments:

silly old suitcase said...

You are so brilliant!

free style creating by Villy said...

oww...I like it so much this idea!You made so creative and artly things!I love your creating style!!!
http://freestilcreatingbyvilly.blogspot.gr/

Madlen said...

Very beautiful!!
Have a nice day!!

Suman Pandit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dawn said...

Alisa, these are amazing and fun and COOL!! I love them both, such a great idea!

Would love that little one for my iphone which has one of your covers on it. I am still excited a month later that my daughter surprised me with this.

Thanks for sharing another inspiring project with us!!

Scent of style said...

Very imaginative and lovely!
Have a nice day!
Greetings from Bulgaria!!!

Melanie said...

Thats a very pretty way to make things. Love the wild stitching a lot. Thanks for sharing this.
Liefs, Melanie

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

So awesome!! I have problems getting washi tape to stick; this is a great way to avoid that problem!

(itsallaboutty.blogspot)

donna downey said...

really cool idea alisa!! love it

April said...

I love this! And I love the creative stitching!

peggy gatto said...

fun!!!!!!

Joanne said...

You are just so dang creative girl...love this project!

Knitting with Olof said...

How fun! You are an inspiration. I need to break out the sewing machine this upcoming week while my big kids are at camp Grandma and Grandpa for a week.

Jen xo said...

you have the coolest idea ...im going to try this :)

An_Geli_Ka said...

Great idea !!! wow....

Maria said...

LOVE this idea!

Debra Kapellakis said...

Brilliant idea(s)!

La Mar de Washi Tapes said...

WOW!!!
Very beautiful!!

storybeader said...

looks fabulous! I wonder if the washi tape would stay on without sewing... {:-Deb

game tien canh said...

You made so creative and artly things!I love your creating style!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails